Saturday 11 July 2015

COL- Chickens of Ludhaina - My love story of falling in love with Yellow Butter Chicken of Ludhiana .



My story of falling in love with the "Yellow Butter Chicken" started with a general discussion with my friend . I was initially not very surprised when he told me that he only eats chicken because i know people from Punjab love the "Kukkad" . I insisted on him to try out other meat too and so started the discussion on famous curries of Punjab ( Butter Chicken , Tandoori Chicken , Cream Chicken etc). When he asked me whether I have ever tasted Yellow coloured Butter Chicken, my curiosity to know more about it grew and then he told me about anewly opened outlet in Gurgaon  called "Col-Chickens of Ludhiana"  which is serving three famous curries of Ludhiana.


The menu


After meeting my friend , I couldnt wait for another day and asked my friends whether they are game for trying this outlet with me .So next day me  and few of my friends ( +lakshay gumber , +Shalini Pereira and +Naju Medhi )  decided to meet for lunch with some Ludhiana special food. Although it is a "Take away outlet" , they have seating capacity of 10 people .  While waiting for my friends , I got a chance to chat with the owner of COL-Chickens of Ludhiana , Amit Khanna. I was more curious to know about Yellow coloured Butter Chicken , because living in Delhi , Butter Chicken for me was red coloured gravy with huge amount of cream over it . Apparanently Ludhiana is famous for three curries - Butter chicken, Cream chicken and Rada Chicken. So according to Amit, during partition of Indo-Pakistan, when people from Pakistan moved to India, they brought their special  recipe of Butter Chicken , which is yellow in colour . Since then Butter Chicken curry is yellowish in Ludhiana with a base of  onion and cream. According to him , Amit has not compromised on the quality of the ingredients and they use their inhouse spice mix to maintain the authenticity of the curries .

After going through their menu, we decided to order all the three famous curries - Butter Chicken, Cream Chicken and Rada Chicken. As per my friend's recommentation, we ordered Mirchi Paratha to eat with the curries . For starters we ordered "Stuffed Tangri Kabab".

Stuffed Tangri Kabab 
Butter chicken was not tangy unlike what i get at most of the outlets in Delhi . It had a very distinct flavour . Cream chicken was perfect blend of onions, cream , black pepper and fenugrek . No ingredient was overpowering with other .  It blended  very well with Mirchi Paratha . Btw dnt get scared when you look at the amount of Mirchi over the Paratha , they use degi mirch for the colour and to make it mild spicy. Rada Chicken was slightly spicy than other two gravies , so we ordered plain Tandoori roti to polish the curry. Although spices used are their inhouse spices but i could smell the aroma of Javitri and Pipli .  I must say that all the three gravies had distinced flavour and aroma. Talking about Tangri Chicken , i think it should be talk of the town. They stuff the Tangris with a lavish amount of Keema and spices and serve it with refreshing mint chutney .







Cream Chicken . 
Rada Chicken .




t
Talk of the Town - Yellow Butter Chicken of Ludhiana 




Mirchi Paratha - layered with cream with a sprinkle of Degi Mirch 


Btw their menu has lot of options for Vegetarians too . They claim that their Soya Chaap and Stuffed Mushroom are high in demand . I have kept the list of veggie items pending to try out on my next visit .

Although we all were full but wanted to try something in dessert section , so as per Amit's recommendation, we ordered Fruit Cream . We all loved the dish and saw a smile at Amit's face as he proudly told us that its his wife's recipe .



Fruit Cream


With all the mentioned (half portion each) curries, one portion of Kabab with two Mirchi Paratha and one Tandoori Roti and dessert , our bill was 1500/-  which is quite reasonable .
Espion team  congratulates Mr. Amit Khanna for introducing such delicacies of Ludhiana and wish for his succcess in  his venture.
COL has maintained the tradition to serve Jaggery to their guest after the meal . 






To Reach
COL-Chickens of Ludhiana
Supermart - 1. DLF - Phase 4
Gurgaon . ( 9999-763723)
* They accept plastic money
* They are closed on Tuesday.
* A Lavish meal for two - 800/- 

* The Kitchen Espion pays their own bill to review .















No comments: